Wednesday, December 12, 2007

What They Said Last Month

Fri, 2 Nov 2007 - 05:31
By: Omar AbdelAziz


Penalty disputes, Jens Lehmann's ego, Arsenal excellence and Champions League action take the lion's share in the best quotes of October.


"I do not see this as a test for me as a manager, this is football, if you keep doing the right things like we did here, we will achieve what we want," Rafa Benitez cannot see that 'right things we did here' was losing 2-1 to Champions League minnows Besiktas!

"I feel OK. The only difference is in training you have the press - and they want to come back home and sleep with you. They are just always there," Thierry Henry describes the difference between the Premiership and La Liga.

"At the end of the day, he scored three goals. Other than that, I kept him pretty quiet," Reading defender Michael Duberry explains how he managed to mark Fernando Torres during the 4-2 cup defeat.

"I gave Longy a big kiss in the changing room. I don't know if his girlfriend's going to be happy with that big love bite on his neck, but that was me!" Duberry thanks Shane Long his own way after the latter's winner against Newcastle cancelled out Duberry's own goal.

"Simone Perrotta is a fantastic engine, he runs more than the train connection between London and Manchester," Sir Alex Ferguson said this after this season's 1-0 win, not after the last year's 7-1 game of course.

"When we were 6-0 up, one of their players said 'don't do any more dribbles', almost begging," If only Cristiano Ronaldo could tell who was that Roma player.

"I had to resist when everyone was saying to me 'buy, buy, buy' - and even bye-bye!" Arsene Wenger after the pre-season pressure was eased.

"Are Arsenal as good as people say they are? You'd better believe it, I thought they had 12 men out there!" Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher after the 1-1 draw at Anfield.

"Rangers did not want to play soccer. They practiced, from the first moment, anti-soccer," Barcelona ace Lionel Messi hates it when it ends goalless.

"Barca are a fantastic side, with great individual players, but the desire and the work rate got us over the winning line," Rangers midfielder Kevin Thomson after the 0-0 win!

"Almunia has not yet showed that he can win matches for us, I can't imagine he'll be able to handle that," Arsenal's German keeper Jens Lehmann blasts Manuel Almunia, who has been winning every game he played for the Gunners this season.


Lehmann again: "Kahn takes himself far too seriously and thinks he is very important, I don't like it when someone glorifies himself," is Kahn really the one who takes himself 'far too seriously?"

"You wonder whether they allow themselves to be influenced by the top four. Didn't Clattenburg go to Hong Kong with Liverpool for the Asia Cup this summer? Maybe he wants to be their friend," Everton manager David Moyes after Mark Clattenburg awarded Liverpool two penalties against his side.


"I want to leave Chelsea. Nothing can stop me from leaving now. Something is broken here, the damage in the dressing room is big because we know now what happened and who caused Mourinho's departure," Didier Drogba insisted.

One week later… "I'm giving 100 percent because I feel good. I love the fans. I think they show me the respect I deserve and this is very important," I wonder what made Drogba change his mind.


"Even Napoli supporters who were 'near me on the stands' realized those penalties shouldn’t have been given," Juventus chairman Giovanni Cobolli Gigli.

No comments: